Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

iDig

I've been MIA for a while but it was for a good cause! I've been busy busy busy and will be updating here slowly but surely.

From the 2-4th of April, the iDig Festival was happening here in Dublin and I got to go as a photographer! Pretty nifty, huh? I went to photograph Classroom Battles' gig, more specifically. They played their own take on some Sonic the Hedgehog songs, it was beyond awesuuuum. <3 Seriously. Impossible not to dance along to.


Some of my favourite bits of the festival were getting to watch The Triforce Quartet (twice!), Neal Acree's panel (he's a composer at Blizzard), and the DIT Irish Traditional Music Ensemble's take on game music. There were some very beautiful moments throughout it.

The Triforce Quartet
Neal Acree & his panel. Omg inicial stages Blizzard CGIs!

We had an amazing time there, it's just a shame the festival wasn't really promoted or publicized, so not a huge amount of people went. The public did seem very targeted, though, and lots of musicians and composers attended, which is pretty cool.

The guests were truly lovely
On the Saturday the main attraction happened, Video Games Live. I've watched them 2 times before back in Brazil and my boyfriend had seen them 3 times already. We actually met at one of the VGLs, so it's kinda special to me.


It was really refreshing to see a female conductor taking the lead of the concert. I grew up on classical music and opera, but had never stopped to realize that I had actually never seen ONE female conductor. I hit me like a bucket of cold water when I saw EĆ­mear Noone and realized this. She's a conductor and composer at Blizzard (can she get more awesome than that?) and conducts the Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses Orchestra as well! She composed the theme for the latest WoW expansion and it's absolutely GORGEOUS. We got to listen to different versions of it being played by different artists throughout the festival, which was pretty awesome.

I hope to see her again at the Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses Orchestra here in November!
We had a great time and really hope the festival returns next year!

No comments: