Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Kabuki

There's one makeup artist that to me seems to be incredibly successful and well know but incredibly unknown at the same time. Well maybe unknown might not be the best term. Out of the spot light, for sure. I've followed his work for a few years now and I'd say the peak of the general public's awareness of him was when he did Katy Perry's makeup for her video Alien.


Kabuki uses a lot of stencils and paper "appendixes" for his signature looks, most of which are very sea-creature-esque.


I've always loved his style and admired him for his uniqueness. The other day I stumbled upon his Instagram, where he posts his makeup looks as well as some of his sketches. I fell in love with this one in particular:
A photo posted by @kabukinyc on

and couldn't resist recreating it. I thought about doing it all monochromatic as well, but decided for a little pop of colour in the end. I hope I did it justice. Also, I know the bit on the forehead was probably a headpiece he drew in as well, but I decided to go for a literal interpretation and draw that in, too.


I used:
Snazaroo black & white face paint
Sugarpill burning heart palette
Contém 1g matte lipstick in Berinjela
Kiko Cosmetics lipstick in 522
Clinique blusher in Spiced Wine
Soap and Glory Hocus Focus liquid highlighter
Tokidoki eyeshadow in Skull Donut
Contacts are G&G Shinny (known as Puffy 3 Tone) in Green.
For a free mystery gift with every lens purchase, click the Pinky Paradise banner to the right and use the code "pompberry"

Damn them straight lines!

No comments: